Childcare – VAB

You receive compensation when you need to be home for the temporary care of children when you work or when you lose an unemployment insurance fund. If you study and have student loans and / or study grants from CSN you can keep them if you cannot study because of sick child.

When you work or have a cash register

The Social Insurance Office has clear information about what applies to compensation for temporary care of children. The information can be found here .

You receive compensation for the care of children when you need to be at home from work or lose a cash register. You receive compensation from the fact that the child is 8 to the day before the age of 12. There are exceptions. Read more at Försäkringskassan – Frequently asked questions . The remuneration is given a maximum of 120 days per year.

The compensation you receive when you are home with a sick child is called temporary parental benefit. You get the compensation

  • when you are home for the care of a sick child
  • loses a-cash because of care for sick child
  • if you accompany your child to a doctor, child care center, BVC, dentist, child and adolescent psychiatry
  • if you are at home with yours because the one who otherwise takes care of the child is sick.

You can also receive compensation if the child is covered by the LSS, the Act on Support and Service for the Disabled .

You are entitled to temporary parental allowance

  • if you are insured in Sweden
  • whether the child lives in Sweden or within the EU / EEA or Switzerland.

So much you get

Temporary parental compensation is a little less than 80% of your income. There is a limit to how much money you get.

Go to the Swedish Social Insurance Agency’s Cash Register to see how much you receive.

So many days you get compensation

You receive compensation for VAB

  • maximum 120 days per year
  • for the last 60 days you will only receive reimbursement if your child is sick, and not the child’s regular caretaker
  • The days can be divided between you who are at home to care for sick child.

Then you get VAB

To receive reimbursement, you must first report that the child is sick. You apply for compensation when the child is healthy again.

1. Apply for compensation for VAB

When the child is healthy and you are back at work or start looking for a job again, you should apply for compensation for the days you were on leave.

If the child is sick for more than a week

From the eighth day of illness, you must submit a certificate from a doctor or nurse. Even the days when you do not charge for VAB, such as Saturdays and Sundays, are included in the sick period. Send the certificate to Försäkringskassan’s loading center, 839 88 Östersund.

2. Payout

If you apply by the 15th, the money will arrive on the 25th of the same month.
If you apply after the 15th, you will receive the payment on the 25th of the following month.
If we need more information from you, it can affect the payment date. We will contact you in such cases. Most often it is because we do not have medical certificates for children who have been ill for more than a week or medical advice if your child is seriously ill. It may also be that we need more information from the doctor.

3. Keep track of the VAB calendar

On the Swedish Social Insurance Agency’s My pages you will find the VAB calendar where you can see when and how much you, the other parent or other relatives of the child have been abusing.
You can

  • share a calendar with the other parent or other relatives who have been babysitting for the child and see how you have divided the babbling days between you.
  • keep track of whose turn it is to be at home the next time the child gets sick.
  • see all the days that you applied for or have been paid for this year and last year.
  • Choose if you want to watch one or more children.

When you study and have CSN

If you need to give up your studies completely – at least one day – for the temporary care of the sick child, you can keep your study funds. You can also keep them to:

  • nurture your husband’s children
  • nurture your spouse’s children
  • nurture the children of your partner.

You must notify when you are at CSN as soon as possible. You can do this by:

  • to call
  • Send e-mail.

When the child is healthy, you need to submit a form to CSN describing when and why you needed to be at home.

If your child is ill for more than a week, you need a medical opinion. It is important that you obtain one because only the first seven days are otherwise approved.

You have the right to keep your study funding if you cannot study due to temporary child care if your child is under 12 years of age. For example, it could be:

  • child birth or adoption
  • visit to preventive child health care
  • illness or infection in the child
  • illness or infection in the person who usually takes care of the child.

If your child is younger than 240 days, the child is normally required to have a place in childcare unless taken care of in hospitals or similar.

You can keep your study funding if your child is older than 12 years. Read more here .

As long as you have the right to keep your tuition

You may retain your study funding for a maximum of 24 weeks per child and year in the absence of temporary care of children.

Always report temporary care of the sick child to CSN. Every full week that you are allowed to keep your study funds for the temporary care of sick children, they do not count towards the total number of weeks you have had study funding. If the care period is longer than 30 days, part of the loan can be written off. Also, report shorter periods of care than one week, as several periods of care can be counted if there are less than 20 days between them. You should do this even if the care periods apply to different children.

So APPOTEK can help

We can write VAB certificates for a maximum of 14 days. We do not write certificates back in time (retroactively) but only from the day, you contact us. We cannot issue VAB for children older than 12 years.

Similar issues:


Kristina Bergstrand, a specialist in general medicine